{Stus-List} Anchor rode buoy/marker? - crowded anchorage

Dennis C. captbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 22:33:14 EDT 2009

Couple weeks ago we were anchored in a crowded, busy anchorage.  There are PWC and catamaran rental concessions nearby so there were a lot of inexperienced boaters around.

I had a small red float (4-5 inch long) on a line attached to my anchor rode with a springhook.  An idiot in a pontoon boat actually straddled my anchor rode marker!  I now have one of those orange round 15" Taylor Made fenders for marking my rode.  It will double as a fender when needed.

We are planning to anchor in that same anchorage to watch the fireworks on the Fourth of July.  Having done it last year, I expect there will be more idiots and more boat drivers under the influence that evening/night.  I would like to mark my rode with some sort of floating light.  I saw some of the lights show below at a discount store for $10 US Saturday.

<http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalog/ctl3684/cp19200/si3568928/cl1/supreme_43_floating_solar_light__red?&query=floating+solar+light&queryType=0&hits=12&offset=>

Anybody seen any better options?