{Stus-List} Roche Harbour, San Juans. New Canadian chart 3313

Patrick H. Wesley hickland at telus.net
Wed Jun 24 12:42:00 EDT 2009

I plan to sail to Roche Harbor and the most direct route from Tsehum Harbour
would bring me in from the North. I have just bought the updated Canadian
Gulf Islands chart book 3313 and noticed that in the Supplemental
Information opposite page 6 it says "In Spieden Channel, heavy tide rips and
eddies result from flood currents flowing East from Haro Strait and West
from San Juan Channel. This channel is not recommended for sailing craft."
The alternative entrance is via Mosquito Pass and the SI says "Strong
currents flood North and ebb South through Mosquito Pass. Local knowledge
recommended."

So what is a poor sailor to do? Is this the authorities being very
conservative to avoid lawsuits? I assume that sailboats go in and out of
Roche Harbor all the time. Perhaps you should not sail through Spieden
Channel but have no trouble entering Roche because it is at the western end
of the Channel, or in fact not really in the Channel at all?

Appreciate any comments from those who know the area.

By the way, something to look out for: the bookseller who sold me the chart
book (and who seems knowledgeable about them) said that this chart was
re-issued in January but has had to be recalled twice since then because of
errors. My copy is marked January 2, 2009 so they have not indicated the
updating. Even the version I got is marked as having an insignificant typo
in some French wording in one place and the seller hopes that all errors
have been caught.

Patrick Wesley

s/v "The Boat" C & C 24

Westport Marina, Sidney BC