{Stus-List} Headed for the North Channel

Peter Deppisch peter.deppisch at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 26 09:24:14 EDT 2009

Hi Hank.
Some where back in the early '90's I bought a Nordica 20 in Penetanguishene and took it back via the Trent-Severn Waterway.  Headroom in a Nordica 20 is 4' 6"  or so.  We motored everyday for 12 hours or so at hull speed and I think it took us 10 days or so.
The lower part is not all that interesting but a day on the water beats a day at the shopping mall anytime.  Rice Lake and then up to Peterborough gets interesting and Peterborough has lift locks:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/trentsevern/visit/lock21_e.asp
Like two bathtubs - one goes up the other down.
At Big Chute you get put on a railway and transferred.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Chute_Marine_Railway

You may not make the North Channel by the time I am up there.  There is a lot of nice scenery on the Trent-Severn.  Orillia is a nice little town with a very nice marina.
I also liked Bobcaygeon.  Once you come out at Port Severn you still have at least 80 nm. to Killarney if not more and you would want to do the Inland Channel for the scenery and not cross over to the west side of Georgian Bay.

Keep me posted as to where you are and I will drive up to meet you if that is OK with you.  Have to collect that rum and coke!

Cheers,
Peter
S/V Tangerine
C&C 35 MK II