{Stus-List} Headed for the North Channel

Peter Deppisch peter.deppisch at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 27 11:20:24 EDT 2009

Hi Ross,
Two beautiful spots, Cove Island and Tobermory.  I love to sit and watch the boat traffic at Tobermory.  Could spend all day.
Except that they are not part of the North Channel and to go there from the North Channel you need to travel at least 55 nm. maybe more to reach Tobermory - and you need to return.

The trip from Killarney or Little Curent to Tobermory is across open water - you can travel close to Manitoulin and Fitzwilliam islands but it can get rough and there is only two anchorages, Club and Rattlesnake, and I am not comfortable with Club.
A friend of mine whose dad is a Great Lakes "laker" captain tells me that her dad thinks the area around Lonely Island is one of the more dangerous corners of the Great Lakes.
If you head back to Michigan from Tobermory you again have open water and a fetch of at least 60 nm maybe more.
http://thenorthchannel.ca/map.html

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.667805,-82.183228&spn=0.932809,1.675415&z=9

Cheers,
Peter