{Stus-List} C&C29 autopilot [was Re: Arioso's broken chainplate]

Jack Cornish jcornish2 at msn.com
Fri Jul 9 19:20:10 EDT 2010

Sounds like the same thing that happens to my Martec folding prop. One blade will come right out while the other holds back. Martec can rebuild the prop at a reasonable cost but first I would have someone go overboard and see how easy or hard it is to move both blades. If you are in salt water, I suspect you might be getting some growth on the blades or in the hub. I have a diver clean the bottom and the prop every three weeks and the problem doesn't show up. The last few seasons, we didn't get in much sailing and the prop when fouled would slow the boat down. Clean we would get 5.5 knots.  Dirty, it would not throw one blade and we got 2.5-3 knots out of the prop with both blades open. If you ever had the Martec apart you'll see there is room for marine growth. If the prop has been on for years with no rebuild, I suggest you take it off and ship it to Martec over the winter. I was going to buy a new prop and THEY suggested that I have it repaired instead.
Jack CornishMoondance C&C 29 MKI