{Stus-List} Furling Trouble - Peter to the Rescue!

dwight veinot dwightveinot at hfx.eastlink.ca
Mon Jul 12 18:49:59 EDT 2010

Peter

Other halyards can cause a problem at the top of the mast, especially if the
luff on the furling sail is close to max length. Seems most sail makers
believe in getting every inch they can in the luff of the sail, even in
furling sails and sometimes full hoist can result in a binding situation.
Were your headsails made specifically to fit with your furling gear and rig?

The sail maker who built my 130, specifically for my boat and furling
system, even after he measured everything with a tape, made the luff too
long and it initially bound up in the spin halyard.  After that I asked him
to cut it back by about a foot and he did it no charge.

A restrainer may help but I believe if you have trouble with the sail
binding on halyards at the top of the mast now that you won't have enough
room to install a restrainer and still get full hoist on the sail.  You may
need to shorten the luff, either at the tack or the head to effectively use
a restrainer.

Dwight Veinot

1974 C&C 35, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS