{Stus-List} Giving Back - now Asian Carp and Trip Report

Peter Deppisch peter.deppisch at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 15 19:03:23 EDT 2010

On 15/07/2010 2:53 PM, Indigo (Jonathan Thomson) wrote:
> Can't we stop carping on about the damn fish and get back to sailing
> topics!
> Jonathan
We don't talk a lot about sailing anyway - mostly problems and how to
repair.  :(

Went to the North Chanel from June 25 to July 4th.   Had to motor from
Lion's Head to Killarney as there was no wind, 64 nm - 12 hours - no fun
but we were on the water - that part was good.
Next day had fish dinner at lunch - they do make fabulous fish dinners
in Killarney.  And then we motored - still no wind - to Baie Finne.  And
that is a fabulous spot.
Next day we needed to get to Little Current for ice and a pump out at .
Tried to sail but hardly any wind.
And missed the swing bridge at Little Current and had to wait an hour.
Bad planning.   Then motored to a place called Hotham Harbour.

Next day it blew 25 to 30 knots plus very limited visibility so we
stayed put.   I know, I know, lots of wind and not sailing.  :(

I had bought a kayak at the Toronto Boat Show in the winter and when I
picked it up they had a Old Town Loon kayak on sale so I upgraded for
another $100.- and I had taken it along on this trip.  So we went for a
paddle instead.

Next day we tried to find a 16 foot tender that a 56 foot powerboat or
should I say ship had lost the previous day.  No luck - did not find.
It was later spotted by an air-plane but the hull had gotten bashed.

So decided to sail to Gore Bay - a very interesting sail - the winds
were 16 to 18 knots and gusting to 23 knots - only had the genoa out and
it was rolled to about 110% and a couple of times the rail was in the
water.  Very thrilling and exciting.  Tried to take a video but I find
videos don't to it justice. Pretty wild ride up-wind but also fun.

Next day the wind was still 25 to 30 knots so we stayed put in Gore
Bay.  We did a crew change in Gore Bay and next day the wind was around
10 to 12 knots  and so we sailed to Beardrop Harbour - which is in the
Whalesback part of the North Channel.  We just about sailed right in the
harbour.  Nice!
Only two other boats and usually there is lots of other boats in there.
But then there seemed to be hardly any boat traffic.
Next day I did a kayak tour of the harbour and area in the morning and
we had wind in the afternoon so sailed to a new anchorage, at least for
me, Eagle Island.  Misread the chart and did a rather narrow, but
thankfully deep, passage between two islands.

Next day sailed to Little Current - I can only stay at anchorages for
two days and then I want to walk around.

Lion's Head is south of Little Current and wind was going to be south
for next three days mainly around 15 to 25 knots.
So we picked Sunday to go back as it promised less wind in the
afternoon.  Ha!

Put a reef in main and motorsailed for 14 hours and winds mostly 16
knots with a lot of 18 and 20 and occasionally 24 knots.  Long day -
sunny and windy and we got burned - and tough day - had to steer all
day.  The excuse for not sailing that stretch was that my buddy needed
to be back.  And sailing would have gotten us to Lion's Head in the wee
hours of the morning and or we would have had to overnight in Wingfield
Basin

Again - quite the ride.  I should learn to enjoy them more.  But always
afraid that something will break.

Need to get out of that habit. :)

I am having problems with my roller-furling though and need to get that
fixed!!!!! Otherwise one day will break forestay and loose rig and that
was part of the problem in enjoying the high winds because, to me, the
roller-furling is suspect.  I should not need a winch and I did not have
to last year. So something is snafued up there.

Maybe then I will feel better about the boat when I am comfortable with
the roller-furling when the wind blows in excess of 20 knots.

All in all - very nice trip!

Cheers,
Peter
S/V Tangerine
C&C35 MK II
Lion's Head, Ontario

--
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll
understand." - Confucius

www.peterdeppisch.com
http://sites.google.com/site/peterdeppisch/home