{Stus-List} Chart plotters

Bob Moriarty bobmor99 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 07:16:03 EDT 2010

There are two free chartplotter programs that you can run on a laptop or
tablet; the venerable SeaClear and openCPN. The latter is being actively
developed and runs on Windows, Linux and Mac and handles many chart formats.
SeaClear was designed for Windows but runs great on Linux using WINE. It can
only use raster charts.

The big downside to the laptop programs is that currently there is no
inexpensive, sunlight viewable, (semi-)waterproof hardware. I expect that
will be different a year from now - at least the inexpensive and sunlight
viewable aspects.

Bob Moriarty
Ox 33-1
Jax, FL