{Stus-List} Prop shaft packing - dripless & standard

Colin Kilgour charliekilo552 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 21:41:20 EST 2010

To Dennis' question about what happens if your stuffing box blows...

I had this happen on BIBENDUM.  I'd had a contractor working on the
boat and he errantly moved the rag mop in the starboard locker to the
'engine' side of the divider in the locker.

We were on our way to take the boat to see the Guess Who at Ontario
Place when we noticed a ton of water in the engine compartment while
we were stowing fenders.  The rag mop had wrapped around the shaft,
then the stuffing box , and basically tore the stuffing box apart.

We quickly returned to dock, but that didn't solve the problem. We
were taking on water faster than any bilge pump could deal with. And,
it's not the kind of leak where you can just stick a cork (or plug) in
it.

While we tried to staunch the ingress with rags and such, that was not
going to stop us from sinking.  Our club however, has an emergency gas
powered pump that we were able to deploy and then Metro Marine (the
cops) also showed up with their big pump which basically kept us
afloat while we devised a plan.

In the end, we stopped the leak by using rubber tape (Rubbaweld,
Rescue Tape, etc.) to basically shrinkwrap the remains of the stuffing
box.  The beauty of this stuff is that it's not sticky (except to
itself) and you can use it under water.

That stopped the leak, and we were able to leave the boat at the dock
whilst we drove down to the show.  We missed the opening act, but just
as we were parking the car we could hear on the loudspeaker, 'Please
welcome, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, the Guess Who!'.  And we
were in our seats before the first song was over. (I can't recall what
it was, but Undun would have been appropriate).

So, to answer Dennis' question - I never leave the dock now without a
good supply of Rescue Tape.

Cheers
Colin
In Mustique

Btw - while typing this in the cockpit, I've had two bats separately
fly down below, circle the saloon and then leave.  Guess they are
looking for the bananas we left on the counter two nights ago. That
night, there were no fewer than 6 of the buggers flying around the
saloon and eating my bananas.  And they only left once I pitched the
produce overboard.  (This sh*t never happened back home, man!)

--
Sent from my mobile device