{Stus-List} Where is the rain water coming in?

Dave Ryan dryan at buckeye-express.com
Thu Mar 4 18:19:31 EST 2010

Ken;
There are a couple places you might want to look.
--Those air scoops on the transom could be an entry point. One (stbd) has a
hose for the blower, the other might or might not have an air hose on it.
That would tend to collect around the rudder post reinforcements before
overflowing, and if those are filled up way back in the tail, that's the
culprit.

--The rudder post tube is just a fiberglass tube with the stainless rudder
post in it. Unless the tube has delaminated from the cockpit sole, that
won't leak.  If your rudder has dropped a few inches leaving a gap between
the top of the rudder and the hull, it delaminated.
More likely is the pedestal and/or guard bolts leaking.

--Is water getting in from the seat area? If those teak lips are loose,
especialy on the starboard side, lots of water might get down that hatch.
Water from here would run almost directly under the motor.

--Check all 4 scupper hoses! Are they secure under the sole? The 4 corners
of the cockpit meet at 2 "Y" thruhull fittings.  If you've got a cracked
hose or a bad hoseclamp, be really happy all you have is a little water so
far.

--About the only other thing other than the traveler bolts would be.....Did
you leave that little cockpit window open? (or is the rubber seal rock hard
and not sealing anymore?)

Dave Ryan
C&C 33-1
1975