{Stus-List} re-bedding handrails on '75 C&C 33

cscheaffer at comcast.net cscheaffer at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 15:40:53 CST 2010

Hi Dwight,

Where do you buy butyl tape?

Chuck

----- Original Message -----
From: "dwight veinot" <dwightveinot at hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: cnc-list at cnc-list.com
Sent: Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:49:15 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: {Stus-List} re-bedding handrails on '75 C&C 33

Ross

I used 1/8 thick grey butyl tape when I did the teak handrails on my C&C 27 some years ago.  I cut strips of tape large enough to cover each base entirely and trimmed around the edges after the handrails were tightened down.  It is a 2 person job for sure and I found out that I needed to make pilot holes in the tape for the screws or else the tape sort of wound itself around the screws as they went through it.  I think if you get it right the butyl tape is the best product for bedding teak handrails on our boats.  There is too much of a tendency to tighten things down too much the first time when using Sika or boatlife or any soft caulk and that affects the thickness of the gasket formed.  Also the tape is not as messy as the caulk to work with and it lends itself to future tightening. I will be doing the handrails on my 35 this spring and I will use butyl tape.  I thought about getting stainless handrails made but that could be quite expensive.  In the end I decided I liked the look of teak better than stainless on my old boat.

Dwight Veinot

1974 C&C 35, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS