{Stus-List} Biodiesel

Rick Brass rickbrass at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 00:31:16 EST 2010

We used 4 cylinder Yanmar diesels in the smaller models of the forklift
trucks for which I used to be the technical trainer. Yanmar (and Cummins)
had bulletins on both biodiesel and low/ultra low sulphur diesel fuels. I
would presume that what they had to say about industrial engines has a lot
of application to our marine engines.

Re: biodiesel - Yanmar approved the use of B5 (5%) bio fuel in basically
every engine they have made. As of late 2008, they approved using up to B20
in any of the Tier III and provisional Tier IV engines and were "studying"
its use in older models. The caution they gave us about biodiesel had to do
with long term storage. All storage tanks collect water from condensation
and leaks - as we all know. There are actually two types of biodiesel - one
type made from mineral oils, and the other made from fatty acids (like
recycled French fry oil). The critters that live in the water in your diesel
tank eat the diesel fuel, but love the fatty acid type of bio fuel. To keep
down the level of algae in the tank, Yanmar recommended biocide (Stanadyne
as I recall) and also suggested sizing the storage tank for only 90 to 180
days of fuel usage.

Now, since most of us can't change the size of our fuel tanks, and want to
keep them close to full to limit the amount of condensation, I guess that
means we should try to avoid bio fuels made from French fry oil, and we
should use our boats more in order to increase consumption.

Re Ultra Low Sulphur diesel: ULS diesel is about all you can buy anymore,
unless you own a railroad or a tugboat. The sulphur content of ULS is like
15 parts per million, where low sulphur (mandated for motor fuels in 2000 or
2001) was 500 PPM, and old high sulphur fuels were 2000 PPM or so. The
sulphur acted as a lubricant for the injection pump, valve train, etc.
Pretty much the same as the lead in gas, pre no lead fuel, and the reason
for removing it is pretty much the reason cars must use unleaded. There are
lubricants added to ULS to make up for the loss of the sulphur, and Yanmar
said they could be used in older engines. But they also said increased
lubricity contributed to the service life of injection components and
recommended a Stanadyne fuel additive for use in increasing the lubricity of
ULS fuels used in engines manufactured pre 2000 or so.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC