{Stus-List} retirement sailing...now health care coverage?

Colin Kilgour charliekilo552 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 19:14:04 EDT 2010

We've had occasion to see a few doctors down here - nothing serious,
just routine stuff kids get (cuts, fevers, staf infections).

Overall, it's been pretty good in terms of price and service. We have
health insurance, but I don't really intend to make a claim unless the
$ are large (because I hate paperwork).  I think the most we've paid
was $75 in St. John (US VI)

The one caveat to this would be in St. Vincent.  A friend's 5 year old
was admitted overnight to hospital with a serious fever and the
hospital was abysmal in pretty much every sense.  He now recommends
against getting sick in St. Vincent - regardless of your coverage
plan.  (The plus side of course, is the referring physician in Bequia
recognized the severity of the situation, put an IV drip on the kid at
her office, and then provided a nurse to sail on their boat with them
(and the IV) from Bequia to St. Vincent.)

Cheers
Colin

--
Sent from my mobile device