{Stus-List} Hull Construction Question

Colin Beckmann alchemist1 at rogers.com
Mon Mar 29 11:39:52 EDT 2010

Keith,

I think you are right on your premise of what they did for the CB
boats.   I think they also had to do this for the fins because the keel
box is so deep.  I don't know how they would lay this up if the keel
sump and the hull were made at the same.   I  am not aware of any CB
38-3's but  I have seen the line drawings and they show at least 5
different keels, all with a different sump.

I also think it is some kind of polyester product.  They must have glass
backing this up in side the hull.  I can't imagine thickened polyester
resin is that strong.

Thanks for the input.

Does anyone know how they got the boot stripe lines in the gelcoat.
Clearly it is sprayed in but how did they mask off the areas, and once
the first color is in, how do they get the next color in.  Someone would
have to go into the mold and remove the masking tape and retape for the
next one.  I would have thought the gelcoat would have been fragile and
easily damaged.  My 38 has white/blue/white/red/white/blue.   This must
have been labour intensive.

Colin