{Stus-List} Mainsheet system shortening

cscheaffer at comcast.net cscheaffer at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 00:11:03 CST 2011

Better solution: Rig a preventer?
I'm at fault for not rigging a preventer all the time. I hope to enforce that more often with my crew, since I got whacked by the boom myself when a following swell spun the boat and she gybed on me. Light winds so I didn't get hurt too bad. . .too bad. . .too bad. . .too bad

Our boom is right at head height so lowering the block three feet should put the block at a safer waist height. Better to get hit there than in the head. If your boom is at the normal cruising height for a 35, where it safely passes overhead when you are standing in the cockpit, you could add a longer strop to get the upper block to a safe height.

Another option: Rig the mainsheet to a coachtop traveller.

Chuck