{Stus-List} Radar Mounts

Frederick G Street fred at postaudio.net
Mon Jan 17 09:35:18 CST 2011

I'd be worried about getting an adequate mount for something as heavy as a radome, depending just on the track.  It seems like the dome would "swing" around the track as the boat moved.

I always used a decent mast mount (Scanstrut or Raymarine's branded version) that wrapped around the mast and was attached with tapped bolts or stainless rivets at several points; this made sure that the domw would not move at all, even when the boat was in a rough sea.  That much weight moving around up high means something's going to break sooner or later.

I'd go for a stern pole.  You could rig it in such a way that you could fairly easily remove it if you wanted to get serious about weight for racing, then reinstall it for "cruise" mode.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis
Bayfield Yacht Club