{Stus-List} Remove Stern Cleats for Racing?

HONEYSAIL at aol.com HONEYSAIL at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 13:16:29 EST 2011

If one removes the stern cleats then what will you use to tie up the  boat?
 Curious?

Jack Fitzgerald
C&C 39 TM

In a message dated 1/17/2011 1:13:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gnylander at atlanticbb.net writes:

The  various PHRF regions each have their own rules. Chesapeake Bay will
allow  you to remove cushions and un-needed doors, but not much of anything
else  (have to keep a head door if it came with the boat). That's why
certain
boats have better performance - they come with much less baggage than our
C&C's with their nice interiors. It is hard to get the PHRF judges to  make
this subtle of a differentiation.

An example - Tim Jackett  brought C&C 99 #1 to the Annapolis Boat Show -
then
kept it around for  some races. It wasn't complete - had a 'quicky'
interior
for the show so  was probably lighter than any other 99 ever built. It also
had a crack  crew. Got a rating that nobody (I think) has ever been able to
live up  to.

To show some variances - a friend bought an Andrews 26 MORC racer  which
had
been raced a few years ago on the Chesapeake. It was rated at  138. The
engine died, so he removed it, the strut and prop, and put a  light
outboard
on a bracket. Got it re-rated - came out as 141! Nobody has  been able to
explain that one!

So, look at PHRF as a guideline, not  as gospel.

As far as cleats, my view is - if they were standard, they  cannot be
removed, period.

Gary

This List  is provided by the C&C Photo  Album
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com
CnC-List at cnc-list.com