{Stus-List} adding a midships cleat - options.

Graham Collins gcollins at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sun Jan 30 18:36:27 CST 2011

With the recent discussion about adding midship cleats for spring lines
in mind, I checked out some options at the Chicago strictly sail show
last week.  Some observations:

1) the Johnson cleat that bolts on to the toe rail would likely work
well, but I don't find it particularly nice to look at.  I'm not
convinced you could overwrap a rope on it and not have it slip, but I
could easily be wrong on that point. Tying a line on to it would work
perfectly. Price at the show was $60.

2) Cleats that attach on the jib track were seen, from Schaefer and from
Garhauer.  The Garhauer is $50, the Schaefer is $102.  Both would do the
job well, the differences are that the Garhauer is aluminum base and a
bolted on nylon cleat, whereas the Schaefer is cast stainless.  Also the
Garhauer fastens in place by screwing down a pin into a hole in the
track, the top of the pin sticks up and is a bit ugly, the Schaefer has
a spring loaded pin and the release lever is recessed into the body of
the cleat - very nice to look at and easier to adjust.

Conclusion: if you don't want to clutter up your jib track, go with the
Johnson cleat on the rail.  On the jib track the Schaefer is much nicer
to adjust and look at, the Garhauer is easier on the budget.  Or just
put a shackle through the toe rail and tie a line through that...  :-)

references for pictures and prices (cut and paste into your browser of
choice):

Johnson:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|295771|312070&id=80333
Schaefer: