{Stus-List} Boom kicker & dutchman

randy spinsur at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 31 14:31:45 EST 2011

I don't have a dutchman system, but removed my topping lift and installed a boomkicker years ago, love it.  I do "store" the main halyard at the end of the boom when sail is furled, helps steady boom from swinging, adds support when boom is used as an armrest, etc.

You'll want to experiment a little w/ the different diameter and length of the rods, such that you don't get too much or too little lift.  Follow the instructions, it seems to me, at rest, the manufacturer wants about ten pounds of "up" force at the end of boom.

Assuming you're not racing (since you have a dutchman) I'm not sure why you'd want to remove the dutchman system; if you're happy w/ the way it flakes now, and don't mind the extra lines and weight aloft, it should be fine after adding the boomkicker.

randy

Tamanawas, 29-II

Hood River, OR