{Stus-List} Boom kicker & dutchman

Rick Brass rickbrass at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 31 23:56:36 CST 2011

I suspect that attaching the topping lift (and Dutchman monofilament lines)
to the backstay might work if sailing close to the wind, but if yo were on a
broad reach would the pull on the lines cause by the boom being far off
center not distort the sail, cause the boom to rise up, or just tear out the
Dutchman lines?

I have a Garhauer rigid vang on both my C&C's and really enjoy the fact that
I was able to get rid of the verdamte topping lifts. Cursed things seemed to
be wrapped up in the backstay every time I needed to tack.

Get the rigid vang. You'll be happy. (and for my money the Garhauer  vang
works a lot better and costs a lot less than a boom kicker.)

If you really hate flaking the main, get a Doyle stack pack mainsail cover
(Neal Pryde makes a similar system called a Lazy Bag that I bet is less
expensive) or just install lazy jacks on the boom.

Rick Brass

With 62 ft of mid 70s C&Cs in Washington, NC