{Stus-List} C&C Smile G/flex

Hoyt, Mike Mike.Hoyt at impgroup.com
Wed Sep 14 22:21:41 EDT 2011

Graham

Secret Plans now at Waeg ..

________________________________

From: cnc-list-bounces at cnc-list.com on behalf of Graham Collins
Sent: Wed 9/14/2011 5:46 PM
To: cnc-list at cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: {Stus-List} C&C Smile G/flex

Hello Paul
I reworked my C&C smile in the spring using g-flex, I won't know how it
performed for another month though (haulout toward the end of October).
There are a couple of methods out there.  Mine was:

1) sand the sides clean both above and below the smile.  Down to the
lead on the keel.
2) apply regular west systems epoxy as a coating on the bare lead.  This
was done to make sure the g-flex had good bite.  Note, when applying
epoxy to lead apparently the trick is to brush it on and while it is
still liquid you wire brush the lead to remove any oxidization from the
surface.
3) I applied a 2" wide strip of glass tape along the joint, using the
g-flex epoxy.  The stuff is like honey in consistency.
4) I faired that using more g-flex and fairing filler
5) a coat of interprotect to seal it all up
6) bottom paint

I'll report back when the boat is out.  The previous owner had troweled
on some 5200 or equivalent, but it had started to come off so I had to
re-do it somehow.

 - Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III