{Stus-List} C&C Smile G/flex

Bill Bina billbina at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 17 18:29:54 EDT 2011


Well, I'm obviously not depending on the glass alone, but I am quite 
confident that my keel isn't going anywhere. :-)

Bill Bina

On 9/17/2011 10:11 AM, Brent Driedger wrote:
> Hi Bill. Don't put too much faith in that little bit of glass 
> providing any structural benefit if the keel bolts should fail. I have 
> seen the effects off opposing forces pulling epoxied glass in two like 
> it was tissue paper. When I bought my boat the bulkhead was rotten at 
> the bottom of the doorway. Instead of replacing the whole thing I cut 
> out the rot, dug out the tabs and replaced with a now piece of wood. I 
> bedded it into 5200 in the tabs and lapped the 4" exposed joints in 
> the head with 3 layers of glass and epoxy. The first time I wrung the 
> boats neck in heavy air I was startled by a mighty bang from below. 
> Rushing inside I found that the joint on the shroud side of the repair 
> had sheared. I attribute this to the bulkhead being built to float 
> somewhat as the boat changes shape in different wind conditions but 
> where the repair was glued to the tabs in the hull, it was solid. The 
> rig load was transfered to the little glass repair and blew it clean 
> in two. The pieces are still in place and now have the freedom to flex 
> as needed.
> The keel will stay put if the bolts failed at the dock but it would 
> become a deep-sea floor tile if you were sailing.
>
> Brent Driedger
> C&C 27 MkV
> s/v Wild Rover
> Lake Winnipeg (standing by for haul out)
>
>
>
>
> On 14-Sep-11, at 1:19 PM, Bill Bina wrote:
>
>> About 10 years ago I carved out the old filler along the joint with a 
>> wire brush in a drill. I deliberately left it very rough. I then 
>> filled the gully with epoxy thickened with fiber. I stripped an area 
>> about a foot above and below the joint. I then did three wraps 
>> around, that extended about 8 inches above, and 8 inches below the 
>> joint with epoxy (EPOXY!) and fiberglass cloth. last step was to 
>> repair the disturbed interprotect 2000 on the keel. Ever since then, 
>> my biggest problem has been dealing with dust bunnies in my bilge. 
>> I've even had a few soft groundings with no problems. The repair 
>> looks exactly as it did 10 years ago. It was a lot of time consuming 
>> work, but didn't require any special skills. This method also gives 
>> me a feeling that if my keel bolts should weaken or fail, my keel 
>> will still be pretty firmly attached to the boat. I don't think there 
>> are any worthwhile shortcuts if you really want it fixed.
>>
>> Bill Bina
>>
>
>





More information about the CnC-List mailing list