{Stus-List} Ice Box Drains...drain vs pump

Bill Bina billbina at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 20 09:34:07 EDT 2011

The question was not about sanitation, but of how to keep the ice frozen
the longest. Read my examples again, and make sure you understand what
they mean. Honestly answer the questions I raised.

What are reefer holding plates made of, and why? They are made of heavy
steel because it has THERMAL MASS. So does water. Air has almost none.
If air could keep things cold, they would make holding plates out of a
thin walled container filled with air. Note that reusable "ice packs"
are not filled with air, either. A thawing reusuable ice pack is still
colder than ambient air until its contents are completely melted.

Why does a refrigerator use less power and hold temp during a power
failure longer if it has a bunch of jugs of water kept in it? The less
air space, the longer it stays cold and the more resistant it is to the
effects of opening of the door.

Why would anyone think melt water was suddenly not as good as air for
holding temperature because it is now 33 degrees instead of 32 degrees?
It is still basically the same substance as the ice. Air is very
different, and incapable of holding any temperature on it's own. Sorry,
but this "debate" is not even close to being debatable unless we want to
throw in the Easter Bunny/Flat Earth effect to make it an actual
controversy. :-)

I don't have problems with the water "getting nasty" because I put food
inside waterproof containers, or vacuum bags sized for one serving per
bag. That said, draining your meltwater isn't going to leave you with a
dry and sterile environment, anyway. Since there will be more air
available and a blast of warmth hitting the damp contents every time you
open the lid of your drained cooler, I would guess that draining
encourages bacteria and mold growth more than having the cooler full of
very cold water. Note that I am calling this a guess. I think it's a
pretty good guess and based on reasons, which I included, but I'm not
calling it a fact.

Bill Bina