{Stus-List} Backstay Adjuster

Rick Brass rickbrass at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 27 12:34:30 EDT 2011

If your mast is a single spreader tree trunk like the mast on a 24 or 24,
and does not have a forward lower shroud, tightening the back stay will not
bend the mast and flatten the main. So the benefit is that you can tension
the headstay to get better pointing and less power in moderate to heavy air.
(or ease the backstay to get more shape and power from the headsail in light
air.)

A backstay tensioner for a split backstay is pretty inexpensive. The 6:1
double ended Garhauer tensioner arrangement on my 25 (pictures in the photo
album) cost less than $100 to add, and I use it a lot. I think a tensioner
for a single backstay will cost a lot more than that, so you need to make a
value judgment about how much bang you will get for your boat bucks.

Rick Brass