Stus-List Jacklines

Eric Frank efrank03 at mac.com
Wed May 16 12:59:14 EDT 2012

Without knowing how experienced sailors run jacklines, I ran a double set back from the short track near the bow along the deck on each side all the way back to the big mooring cleats on the stern.  Is that a bad idea?  It does mean I have to decide before leaving the cockpit which side of the boat I want to be on, but by the time I am forward of the mast, I can easily get to either side with a fairly short tether.

Having replaced the pedestal guard on Cat's Paw and seeing the way it is attached to the cockpit floor, I certainly would not want to use it as an attachment point for a safety tether or jackline.

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA

On May 16, 2012, at 12:00 PM, cnc-list-request at cnc-list.com wrote:

>> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Chuck S <cscheaffer at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Jacklines are easy to rig on our boat.  I made a copy of the ones sold by
>>> WestMarine and made them from 1" webbing.  I chose blue to contrast with
>>> the offwhite deck and bought enough to go from the cockpit to the bow and
>>> back, sewed a heavy duty SS cabiner into a loop in the middle.  This gets
>>> clipped into a padeye 4 feet from the bow The tether allows you to get to
>>> the furler fine.  Each end of webbing gets tied tight to padeyes just
>>> outside the cockpit coaming.   I rig the jacklines when I run the boat
>>> alone.  The webbing also makes really nice sail-ties by sewing a loop in
>>> one end.
>>>
>>> This reminds me, I need to install more padeyes in the cockpit for crew
>>> so we're not all clipped into the same anchor point like the pedestal
>>> guard.
>>>
>>> I'd advise against using a deck padeye for attaching a heavily loaded
>>> stay like a storm jib.
>>> I'd prefer a storm jib like the one sold by ATN that clips around the
>>> furled genoa.  I don't have one, but it looks right to me.
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>> Resolute