Stus-List Victory

Helen Abbott hka at eastlink.ca
Sun May 20 21:32:29 EDT 2012

On 2012/05/20 10:22 AM, Andrew Frame wrote :  "So, being in the wrong
place at the wrong time going the wrong way led to victory."

Andrew,
I have sailed more races than I can recall where the "start" dictates
the outcome.....not always, but the odds are a good start ends in a good
finish.  This day, if we had got mixed up in all the starboard tack
boats at the line, a C&C 24, we would have been in dirty air and in
little chance of breaking out of the pack.  But, being in the wrong
place, at the right time, going in the right direction, we pasted in
front of the entire fleet, all giving one another dirty air, and we were
the first boat to the windward mark.......sailed the C&C 24 to its
numbers for the rest of the race.  At the start of a race, when you you
pass in front of the entire fleet, one being an Etchells 22 sailed by a
world soling champ,50% boat and 50% crew is always good, 50% luck is
part of sail boat racing as well.  Take it when it happens.

Another race, another boat, a C&C 34R, an 18 mile club race, Winonah
Cup, half way through, we were so far back of the leaders, it was
painful.  Spin run,  the fleet about 3/4 mile ahead, they all sail into
a hole, they are stopped, wind is filling in behind us, we ride the
fresh wind, catch the fleet, sail around the 'hole' to be first around
the leeward mark, sail smart to the finish, first, Winonah Cup
winners.....zeros to heroes....when sail boat racing, always take the
50% luck.

Another race, C&C 34R, Prince of Wales Trophy, 26 mile race, last
downwind leg, we are the first place boat because of the a strategic
move to go in close to the shore on the upwind leg.....the fleet didn't
see us because of the fog.....round the windward mark, the wind dies, we
drift for a while and the race gets timed out.....we could have used the
50% luck that day.  Like I said, take it when it happens.

Bob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.