Stus-List Dunked today and takin on water

Jeff Cole cnclists at sailmasala.com
Thu May 24 19:21:39 EDT 2012

Waterlift mufflers use the exhaust gases to push the water up and out of
the muffler, hence the intermittent flow at the transom outlet.

The muffler is basically a pot with an inlet and outlet.  The outlet
originates near the bottom of the interior of the muffler.
Hypothetically, a muffler with an interior failure would behave in
strange ways - giving unusual flow patterns at the exhaust is consistent
with that failure mode, but does not in and of itself explain the water
in the boat.

Assumption:  When you were motoring in the failed state,the engine was
not overheating.
Therefore, your water inlet and water pump were likely operating correctly.

I would look for ways that water could escape the exhaust system into
the boat.  Do you have an anti-siphon loop in the system? You should -
mine is between the cooling water exit from the exhaust manifold and the
injection nipple on the elbow.  Could a muffler with an intermittent
failure (how the heck that happens is speculative) cause water pressure
to build up and escape the exhaust system?

There are several suppliers of waterlift mufflers.  Defender Industries
sells the Vernalift products.  Vetus makes them.  Your local GOOD
chandlery should be able to get you a suitable unit overnight.

Good luck!
Jeff