Stus-List Yanmar waterpump nuts - do not drop ... get spares ... Japanese thread standard

Nate Flesness nate at isis.org
Wed May 9 14:34:23 EDT 2012

I replace my Yanmar 2QM15 waterpump impeller every spring.
This year I managed to drop one of the two “13mm” nuts holding the waterpump housing onto the threaded rods on the engine,
The nut bounced …. and I can’t find it. Probably well under the sole somewhere.

Metric nuts aren’t widely stocked here, but I used the remaining nut to check out “13mm” nuts (M8) at Fastenal and a couple of other sources. You could put the Yanmar nut on a matching bolt and turn it several times before it jammed…..close but not a match.
Turns out these seemingly standard metric nuts are made in Japan of course (Yanmar), and they use a Japanese standard thread along with the 13mm hex head. Yesterday I bought the last two my regional Yanmar dealer stocked, at $0.96 each.

Cheap enough but not exactly easy to replace (suppose you had to replace an impeller while underway and you dropped a nut…..).
I never thought about this before. Yanmar owners may want to have a small set of “Japanese metric” spares.

Nate Flesness
“Sarah Jean’
Siskiwit Bay Marina
Cornucopia, WI