Stus-List 34 and 37 XL vs + vs R

Ken Heaton kenheaton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 14:38:26 EDT 2013

Edd is correct but I'll add a further note or two.

The "further amenities" on the XL were to give the fully fitted out
"cruising" 37+ versions some of the "racing" features of the 37R version.
 Most (perhaps all) XL's have the slightly taller, three spreader masts
normally found on the "R" with running back stays and check stays.  The 37+
has a two spreader mast, not running backs. The XL's generally also
have the deeper 8' keel usually found on the "R" (though I am aware of one
XL with a wing keel, C&C liked to do what the customer wanted).  Most XL's
have the standard closed transom with the swing out door of the + version
but at least one has the open "R" version.

As far as PHRF handicap goes the XL PHRF-NS 72) falls between the +
(PHRF-NS 81 or 75) version and the R (PHRF-NS 63).

C&C didn't produce any boats in 1992? due to financial issues.  When they
restarted production in 1993 they renamed the 37's. The 1993 and 1994
versions were simply called the C&C 40+, the C&C 40 XL and the C&C40R.

You can compare the versions on the brochures on the PhotoAlbum:

The 37+, 37XL 37R series (1988 to 1991):
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/brochures/37foot/37+b1pg01.htm

The 40+, 40XK and 40R series (1993 & 1994):
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/brochures/40foot/40b3pg01.htm

Ken H.