Stus-List Starting a Universal

Neil Gallagher njgallagher at optonline.net
Wed May 15 22:09:26 EDT 2013

For a new M3-20B, the Universal Operator's Manual gives a table that
says hold the preheat switch for approx 10 sec if temperature is 41F/5C
or higher, 15 sec if temperature is 41F-23F/5C- -5C, and 20 sec if temp
below 23F/-5C.  With Universal-supplied panels the preheat switch has to
be pressed for the starter button to work, and it (the preheat button)
has to be held down until oil pressure builds up, other wise the engine
will stop.

This was also the same info given in the operators manual for an older
20B-2, which I think was about your engine's vintage, though some
engines did not have the oil pressure switch feature.

Neil Gallagher
35-1
Glen Cove, NY