Stus-List re solar panels

Eric Frank efrank03 at mac.com
Fri Sep 27 12:31:38 EDT 2013

I agree with Bill on that.  A proper charge regulator for solar cells will do just that.  I have a similar arrangement that has been running for 5 years with a semi-flexible 20 watt solar panel over the forward hatch.  At first I just used one regulator, running the panel output to the two batteries through diodes so that one battery would not charge the other.  That's a mistake, because the voltage drop on the diode is about 0.4 V, so the charger thinks it's done before that batteries are fully charged.  So either use two one-battery regulators (I use the Morningstar ones and have had no problems in the 5 years) or one regulator with two separate outputs, as was mentioned earlier on this list topic.

The panel is now down to about 0.6 Amp max in bright sunlight (used to be about 1.4 A) - apparently the panels age.  But it is still plenty to top up the batteries when I am not aboard (pretty much only weekends).

Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA