Stus-List scoring

Edd Schillay edd at schillay.com
Sun Sep 8 09:01:30 EDT 2013

Brett,

But PHRF is subjective and, to be brutally honest, corrupt.

Look at the J/105 ratings across the country. They range from 93 in some areas to 108 in others. Same boats, all supposedly based on 5-10 wind speed, so why the differences?

Sailmakers on PHRF boards.

The overall system is bad. Humans (or even Vulcans) need to be taken out of the process.

Take this scenario. Owner has big bucks. He buys a heavy 40 footer that rates 90 and races in a bay where the winds never go above 6. He's getting killed out there, so he buys a 27 footer that also rates 90.

A 27 foot planing hull 90 rater does not sail like a 19,000 pound displacement 40 footer with a 90 rating.

New boat. New scores.

It's unfortunate that Americap never took off. IRC has promise though.

All the best,

Edd

-------------------------------
Edd M. Schillay