Stus-List C&C 37+ Repower -- Ugh

Edd Schillay edd at schillay.com
Thu Jun 25 10:16:43 EDT 2015

Russ,

It was determined that it’s sea water in the engine, not antifreeze (raw water pump was leaking and the antifreeze “tank” was full. Therefore, it can’t be the head gasket as the culprit (I’m told the salt water system never gets up that high — just the antifreeze). All of the injectors were seized. They cleaned them out and put fresh fuel in there. Could not get the engine to turn 100%, even by hand. 75% was it, then stop.

So they think it’s a bent rod which means a rebuild.

So now I’m asking myself — do I spend $6-7000 fixing up a 25 year-old engine (and lose two months or more of my season) or do I spend $10,800 on a brand new one?

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Starship Enterprise