Stus-List A4 Slips Out of Gear

Ken Walters kwalters at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 3 11:53:49 EDT 2016

Randy,
Probably a pretty straight forward  adjustment in the gear box. Mine did this when I bought it and a knowledgable A4 mechanic fixed it in about an hour after unknowledgeable mechanics dorked around for many hours on cables, props, etc. and many hundreds of dollars. There is definitely help to be had on the Moyer forums for this exact issue. It is also covered in detail on the Moyer A4 overhaul manual.

If you are handy you can fix it yourself in about 30 minutes. You take off the gearbox cover plate, remove a set screw that holds a clutch ring/collar thing in place, rotate ring one way or the other one notch, put screw back in, do not drop screw down inside gearbox, test it out. It may make getting the engine in or out of gear a bit harder, there is a trade off. There is also an after market collar with notches closer together to avoid the too much too little issue.
There are times when you need to know that you have maximum thrust - like when you are about to ram another boat or dock. To my mind this is a serious safety issue. A young, strong crewman fended my stern off when this happened to me while backing out of my slip in high wind. I parked the boat immediately and called a yard with A4 experience.
If you cannot find the adjustment instructions on the Moyer site, contact me off list and I will send you a PDF.
Ken
33-1 '75 A4

Created on a small keyboard with fat fingers...