Stus-List 3QM30 Head Gasket

David davidrisch75 at msn.com
Thu Sep 8 14:40:32 EDT 2016

So...we are leaving harbor  to make our way down to Mystic for the Rendezvous.   As I usually do I turn around and check the exhaust for water and color.

Today the color as darkish grey and it looked like oil was coming out as well.

I do an immediate 180 and go back to the mooring.

Mechanic is out within the hour and confirms my suspicions. Head gasket.  To do the job right (injectors, planing head etc) he estimates $2,500 to $3,000.  I think the price is fair but I wonder if I could do it myself.   Anyone have any experiences around this?   I am a fair mechanic, but I don't want to be penny-wise of pound foolish and I have never done anything like this before.

Thanks in advance...

David F. Risch
1981 40-2
(401) 419-4650 (cell)