Stus-List Electrical Question

mcrombie at bell.blackberry.net mcrombie at bell.blackberry.net
Mon Sep 12 12:01:48 EDT 2016

I believe the confusion here is because in the COLREGS the "steaming light" is referred to as a masthead light.   On most sailboats it is not at the top of the mast.  People confuse "masthead" with the all around anchor light.

If you are under power (sails up or not) you must display the masthead light which lights up an arc of 225 degrees.   The other point of confusion may be that if a vessel is less than 12m in length, she can display an all around white light instead of the mastlight and sternlight.

The tricolour light can be used if the vessel is less than 20m.

Mike
Atacama 33mkii
Toronto