Stus-List Winterizing Diesel Engine Raw Water

Ron Ricci ron.ricci at 1968.usna.com
Sat Aug 5 08:47:32 EDT 2017

Each year, I struggle with pulling a hose off my raw water strainer to flush
anti-freeze through the system.  I've considered installing a tee in the
line.  Recently I came across an adaptor (Sea Flush) that fits in the top of
most any raw water strainer but it didn't look like there was enough
vertical clearance.  There is an adaptor for a Groco strainer but my C&C 37+
with a Yanmar 3HM35F appears to have a Perko 0493 Size 5 strainer.  I
contacted Perko who indicated that I could convert my 0493 strainer to a
0593 model which has a flush valve and hose connection on the top.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'd need about $250 worth of parts to make this
work.  I've heard that a second cap for the strainer could be modified by
installing a hose fitting.  The cap costs about $35.

I'm curious what other listers have done and if I'm right on the strainer
model #.

Regards,

Ron

Ron Ricci

S/V Patriot

C&C 37+

Bristol, RI

 <mailto:Ron.Ricci at 1968.USNA.com> Ron.Ricci at 1968.USNA.com