Stus-List desperate measures + shroud issues

Della Barba, Joe Joe.Della.Barba at ssa.gov
Mon Aug 14 14:56:04 EDT 2017

My plastic shroud guards (split plastic over the shrouds) managed to collect a TON of nasty dirt and pollen under them. The stainless looked really nasty! I decided I hate these things and dumpsterized them. I got an idea and got my pressure washer from home to see if I could clean them. It actually worked fairly well and the stainless is somewhat improved and dirt free, if still dull. So……I have this pressure washer in my hands and the mainsail cover is looking really nasty. It is about 30 years old and has had “perma-mold” for years that has resisted all cleaning efforts. I have the nozzle – and there is the nasty cover – and it is going to get replaced anyway this fall, so why not give it a go? I expected the cover to get blasted to pieces, but to my surprise it held up and the mold is 99% blasted away ☺
I wouldn’t try this on anything valuable, but it DID work.
Now for the shrouds – I could just replace them, but that is kind of a PITA for the uppers. Should I polish them, not worry about it, or ???

Joe Della Barba
Coquina
C&C 35 MK I