Stus-List Sail advice for 35

robert robertabbott at eastlink.ca
Mon May 1 15:26:56 EDT 2017

Boat with a full suite of sails....I started with a North tri-radial
150% dacron headsail and a main sail.  I sail solely a lot and use
mainly the headsail .....around here, summer winds in the outer harbor
can be in the +15 mph range...found the 150% too much sail much/most of
the time, switched to a cross cut 135% dacron.....must better sail, less
heal, more comfortable tacking/trimming, and almost as fast....I like
the Doyle 135%.....and I have a Sobstad 100% that I use mainly in the
Spring and Fall when the winds are consistently +15 mph....the 100% is
beginning to be my preferred head sail, especially if I am using my main
sail.

I can furl my 135% down to 100% but I don't like doing it when sailing
to weather....I'd rather have my flat 100%....off wind furled isn't so bad.

So, I am favoring my 100% over the larger head sails.....however, I am
just pleasure sailing, not trying to go as fast as possible all the time.

Launched last Monday....might get the mast stepped this week....will it
be the 100% or 135% that he chooses first?

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.