Stus-List Broken paddle wheel on speed transducer

CHARLES SCHEAFFER cscheaffer at comcast.net
Tue Mar 12 16:29:07 EDT 2019

FWIW, I would strongly suggest skippers remove the speedo paddlewheel after sailing and plug the hole with the manufacturer's plug.  I race and I do it after every race, so I've gotten good at it.  That way the paddlewheel will stay clean and accurate.  I put the speedo in before going sailing and I switch the plug back in after sailing and we're back at the dock.   I use my boat on weekends, so this policy keeps the speedo clean and protected and if I miss a weekend, the speedo remains clean and safe.  I lube the O-rings with dielectric grease each spring and the parts go in and out very easily.  I keep the plugs and a small tube of grease in a small plastic tub that sits in the bilge where it is usually dry, and it floats if the water collects in there.

If you haven't done it, it's a good skill to learn and once you become proficient, and have the speedo or plug ready to go in, only a cup of water will come into the bilge.  It's also a good thing to practice a few times on land long before you launch and when I bottom paint the hull, I include doing the plug.

Chuck, Resolute '90 C&C 34R