Stus-List [EXTERNAL] Re: Headsail only in strong winds astern

Morgan Ellis mje.mjellis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:18:36 EDT 2019

I would love to hear Mr. Ball chime in on this thread, if possible, from a
mast design point of view. I have been told by a very experienced offshore
sailor and the instructor of Offshore Sea Survival courses, that the masts
are designed to have a mainsail hoisted and are not stable or properly
supported without it. The instructor stated that if you were to drop the
main because of high winds that you should be hoisting a storm sail in its
place, if for no other reason than to support the mast. Since then the only
time I will run on jib alone is in light air drifting around the harbour
for an evening pleasure cruise.

Regards,

Morgan Ellis
s/v Meandher