Stus-List [EXTERNAL] Re: Headsail only in strong winds astern

Don Kern don-kern at cox.net
Mon Mar 18 16:57:45 EDT 2019

Morgan, I have heard this also, but I believe it depends on the unique
characteristics of the boat/mast.  Fireball a C&C 35 Mk 2 has taken some
pretty powerful unintentional jibes and spinnaker unloading and loading
while racing.  The 35 Mk2 really has a telephone pole for a mast and in
these cases do not think the mainsail helps but also adds to the
problem. In a jibe it is also unloading as it passes centerline, then
loads with all the pressure being offset to a side but fwd on the mast.
A very jarring/shuddering experience. Never have I turned around to see
what the psi on the backstay reads, too concerned to steering the boat
under the sails.

For newer boats with fractional, lightweight/bendable mast this axiom
may very well could be true.

My $0.02.

Don Kern
Fireball C&C35 Mk2