Stus-List Not shifting fwd to reverse

Chuck Gilchrest csgilchrest at comcast.net
Mon May 20 20:19:56 EDT 2019

Have you tried disconnecting the cable at the gearbox and shifting into gear using only your hands?  Generally gearboxes (other than mechanical boxes on A4s or Paragon boxes) will snick in and out of gear with very little effort.  If the cable is antique(as in the original cable for the boat) go ahead and buy a new one, same length as the old one before it breaks or the gear shift on the pedestal breaks.  Since the cables use a solid rod inside the cable housing, wear will occur wherever the cable makes a bend.  It is undetectable to the eye and it will make the gearbox increasingly harder to put in gear.  If the boat won’t engage in either forward or reverse, I’ll put my money on the cable or the cable holder inside the pedestal shifter as the offending part.
My Landfall 35 has a shift mechanism at the pedestal that Edson stopped making in the 80’s with no replacement parts.  Same Hurth V drive on the 3HM Yanmar. Keeping the gear shifter functional saves me from a huge pedestal refit job.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram, MA